- The arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively. eg.‘20th century popular culture
- ’The ideas, customs, and social behavior of a particular people or society. eg. ‘Afro-Caribbean culture’
- The attitudes and behavior characteristic of a particular social group. eg. ‘the emerging drug culture’
2 Corinthians 6:14 teaches us: “Be ye not unequally yoked together with the culture: for what fellowship hath righteousness with the culture? and what communion hath light with the culture?” my paraphrase
I make a broad interpretation here since culture also has many advantageous aspects for all. Nevertheless, I refuse to allow the culture to be my sole guide.
Lets talk about for-instances:
- And what concord hath Christ with Belial? Am I preoccupied with enhancing my food intake?
- what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? Do you esteem the world’s norms and standards above God’s?
- And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? Do you worship mammon, cars, and houses and social status?
“Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.” 2 Corinthians 6:17-18
What did Paul mean by unclean thing? In the Old Testament unclean happened when you touched a dead body, human or animal, and through bodily discharge etc. You were declared ceremonially unclean for a certain length of time.
“And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat. But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.
And the voice spake unto him again the second time,
What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.” Acts 10: 13-15
Then what remains unclean? All that mocks the cleansing, resurrecting, freeing deliverance of Christ’s vicarious atonement is unclean.
“Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world,
- the lust of the flesh, Culturally provided material goods, sex, honor for fools, soul power, influence, gratification etc.
- and the lust of the eyes, Demonically inspired pleasantries to view and feast the eyes upon.
- and the pride of life, Authority from the atmosphere which gives permission to never change.
is not of the Father, but is of the world.” 1 John 2:15-16
- Accusations against you
- Seductions away from God’s purpose for your life
- Fantasies and impure thoughts that pollute your mind
- Condemnation making you feel worthless and inadequate
- Defeating self-expectations that go back to childhood
- Recurring memory of past failures
- Disappointments and guilt you wish you could shake free of. meatofthewordsanctuary.org
Friends, many believers lack understanding about the Christian warfare because they lack a precise parameter for defense. They don’t know what they are defending.
In Joshua 10:7 “…Joshua ascended from Gilgal, he, and all the people of war with him, and all the mighty men of valour. ”
Gilgal was their home-base. The name means “rolling” and here the disgrace of Egypt was rolled away from them. Joshua 5:9
At Gilgal also the 12 stones taken out of Jordan were pitched. This symbolized that they had gone through death, (Jordan). Joshua 4:20
At Gilgal they kept the Passover feast, symbolizing the blood of protection placed on their doorposts, when the death angel passed over while still in Egypt.
At Gilgal they did eat of the old corn of the land, symbolizing resurrection life.
At Gilgal, circumcision is renewed, symbolizing renewed favor with God and His covenant.
Beloved, we bring every thought captive unto the obedience of Christ. It was His obedience that purchased our personal Gilgal ; disgrace of the past gone, a memorial of our co-crucifixion, resurrection life abounding, circumcised hearts which speaks of renewed favor with God.
This we stand in and recognize the enemy. The purchased position and possession which Christ paid for, we defend. love ya