So, not worthy, so unworthy, we are made worthy
(…God the Father, who has enlightened us and made us worthy partakers of the inheritance of the saints…). Colossians 1:12. Lamsa translation.
Unworthiness is defined, “ lacking in excellence or value, not meritorious, not deserved, inappropriate to one’s condition or station” – merriam-webster
The problem of unworthiness has been tackled by many a well-meaning therapist, who offer a re-teaching, chipping away at, working through approach. However, even in visiting childhood’s ‘unfortunate but nonetheless forming events and words,’ presupposed in this visit is something not Biblical:
that somehow we were seeing ourselves as worthy, but lost it, and not of our own fault, most of the time.
Precious souls, our unworthiness is entrenched in the depths of an old sin nature, which has not just stigmatized us, falsely identified us, or named us wrongly, but has called us correctly; unworthy, unworthy, unworthy! Unworthy cannot morph into Worthy by some psychic redirection.
Let’s look at some thoughts taken from “A System of Biblical Psychology;” Delitzsch and Wallis The reference is to Adam and Eve.
“Hitherto God’s love filled the spirit’s will, thought and feeling…but when satanic thoughts of a loveless God found entrance into man’s mind, then entered ‘enmity’ into the place of love, Romans 8:7, and ‘Turba’ into the place of peace…” “The powers of the soul, at peace in God, fell into confusion, and kindled in passionate eagerness opposed to God.” (turba is a borrowed word which signifies “the opposite of peace,” Greek (eirane.)
“At enmity with God?”
The word means “enemy,” This is reason enough for feelings of unworthiness; our soul has postured itself in opposition to God. This is the core of the issue, we are caste into the eternal state of spiritual death; separation from God, from truth, from harmony.
God’s approach to healing was to slay the enmity, so bringing reconciliation. Which? — the enmity between people groups, Jew and Greek, accomplished by removing the Law of Commandments made in ordinances. And He reconciled both factions (the whole Human race), to Himself in one body by the cross of Calvary. see Ephesians 2:14-16 Psychology has no authority to remove enmity between a person and their Maker.
With the cross came the crucifixion of sin, of fallen men, of Law’s dispensation, of the world system’s jurisdiction. What does it mean in an applicable way to the souls of men? We must think in terms of mercy and grace.
First we have several “removals.” This is because of mercy. Removed is:
- Sin and guilt, two reciprocating principles, as displayed in conscience. These Christ bore on the cross. 1 Peter 2:24
- The Law of handwriting which is against us — was manifest by the all encompassing consciousness of discord internally. Again the cross removed it. Romans 7:4
- The jurisdiction of darkness, an extra accuser which disables forgiveness, cleansing and reconciliation’s soul-harmonizing and renewal — was manifest in strengthening our identity as aliens. Galatians 6:14 Cross again took it away.
Then we have several things added to us. This is because of Grace. Added are:
- Righteousness. A perfect standing before God — accepted in the Beloved! The positive side of sin’s removal
- Holiness. The purity of our standing before God, ( the resulting state of identity is rebounded to many times as our experience still fails this perfection). Proverbs 24:16
- Worthiness. Yes, we receive worthiness as a gift of grace.
Ephesians 4:18 gives us the key to healing and remaining in the renewed state of soul.
First, a person must be born again. John 3:3
- Don’t revert to empty-headedness.
- This will obscure your ability to think through on truth.
- Feelings of estrangement will recur.
- Agnostic thinking will grow with callousness.
- Apathy sets in.
- An urge toward uncleanness follows.
Daily or when necessary:
- “… put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts.” Agree with Mercy.
- ” … be renewed in the spirit of your mind.” the Spirit does this.
- ” … put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.” Ephesians 4:22-24 Apply something that God gives for nothing in return.
Friends, cultivate a closeness with the Holy Spirit of grace. He will enable you to lay hold of those things which we are not worthy.
You are Worthy. Love ya